Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Betrayal of the Blood Lily & The Mischief of the Mistletoe by: Lauren Willig

Lauren Willig is writing full time now and when you read these next two novels in the series you will be able to tell. With each novel her craftsmanship goes up a notch.
In the Blood Lily we are following Penelope Deveraux in her continuing adventures of trying to find her place in society.
Of all Ms. Willig's women characters I think Penelope has the truest Swashbuckling spirit of all so far. Penelope has made some bad decisions, but is trying to make the best of what she has created for herself.
We've traveled to India at the turn of the nineteenth century for this adventure. I like the way Ms. Willig has taken her stories from England to France and now to India. Since I'm not able to travel in real life I enjoy traveling through books and not trying to spoil any of the stories for you, but I do like how she gives us happy endings.
As you read each novel in the series you want to make sure you keep all the characters in mind because like in the Mischief of the Misletoe she brings back characters to the fore. In this story we follow Turnip Fitzhugh, who has been the brunt of everyone's jokes through the whole series. Again not to spoil the story for you, but it's nice to see how Ms. Willig has brought Turnip forward with another minor character Arabella and brought them together showing us that sometimes people true selves are not always seen by everyone only the special people in our lives.
One thing I would like to point out--I don't ever read the last chapter in a book before I start, but I have found that Ms. Willig has put a Historical Note at the end of each book and I have found that reading that first gives me some nice background to place the story as I read along. I should have told you that at the beginning of this reading adventure, but I bet there are some of you who look in the back of the book before beginning your read ;-)

Happy Reading,
Beverly G ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment